To hear some people talking, if you want to engage in online video marketing there is really only one option – YouTube. But that’s far from the case.
While YouTube gets the lion’s share of traffic for online video creation, it may not necessarily be the best choice for you in terms of marketing yourself online with video. Or, at the very least, it may not be your only choice.
But let’s take a look at the pros and cons in a little comparison:
- OK, YouTube wins the traffic battle hands down
- You can create your own channel and market yourself through that channel, picking up dedicated followers along the way
- Networking and making friends is easy on YouTube
- YouTube has a promotional video program you can join
- YouTube has a rich and diverse categorization procedure
- Vimeo may not have the traffic, but what they don’t have in traffic they make up for in quality
- Better HD – high definition; the quality here is much better
- Vimeo also has channels and networking
- You can create your videos online using Vimeo’s video creation technology
- Vimeo’s categorization isn’t as rich and diverse as YouTube’s, but it is more creative and very well organized
If you judge by quantity of bullet points, YouTube wins. But, remember, Vimeo’s superior HD technology is outweighs YouTube’s pros and Vimeo has some of those in common with YouTube. Take out the common pros – categorization, networking, and channels – and all YouTube really has going for it traffic and promotional videos. Vimeo has better HD technology, online creation tools, and a thriving community. That’s why many online marketers are using Vimeo over YouTube.
Thankfully, it isn’t a matter of either/or. You can actually do both. My recommendation is to create your video online with Vimeo then upload your video to YouTube. That will get you the high quality of Vimeo’s technology and the traffic at YouTube – the best of both video marketing worlds.
Leave a Reply