It’s hipper than ever to bash Black Friday. After several years of making fun of ourselves and our love/hate relationship with capitalism through memes, we’re now warmed up and ready to go. Good thing too, as more and more stores have stopped waiting until Friday itself to treat our OCD (Obsessive Christmas Disorder). And though it’s also hip to pledge not to shop on Thanksgiving, we bet a bunch of you will be buying under the table via smartphone between courses. (That doesn’t count… right?)
However you do (or don’t) shop this year, here are five ways to keep your sense of humor intact while the world around you falls apart:
1. Identify your smug: Hate the whole capitalistic shebang? Read this funny piece by our friends over at dealnews.com and self-diagnose exactly which camp of hate you belong in. (No tents required.)
2. Break out one of these bad boys: If a picture is worth a thousand words, these sweaters are worth at least that many snickers. Where else but Amazon could you find so much irony in one place — on sale, no less? And while we’re not sure who this cat Alex Stevens is, he’s got a standing invitation to the Brandsplat holiday staff party.
3. South Park’s still got it: Going out anyway? Need inspiration? Get your Game (of Thrones) on with this fantastic South Park sendup of Black Friday. Team PS4!
4. RetailMeNot brilliance: Who’s got its own line of someecards? This fabulous brand. Whether you’re updating Facebook at 2 a.m. while standing in line, or dishing snark after getting what you wanted online, there’s a card for every type of Black Friday shopper.
5. Keep things in perspective: This one is more sad than funny, because America. Sigh.
Let us hear from you, dear readers. Are you running stadium stairs in hopes of besting your PR for flatscreens, or will you be (smart)phoning this Black Friday in? Sound off in the comments section below!
Leave a Reply